Pages

Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Monday, January 20, 2014

Tried a new Chowder Recipe tonight

 Posted this recipe on my Facebook page a while ago, and finally bought the ingredients to make it this week.... I am hoping that it turns out wonderful.  
This is the Recipe from the site Nest Of Posies


I really like they way she put fabric on the mason Jars.... so cute....





Hearty Bacon & Corn Chowder
here’s what you’ll need:
1 lb of lean ground turkey – cooked & drained
1 small onion, diced
2 cups of carrots chopped
1 1/2 -2 cups of celery chopped
2 cups of potatoes chopped (red or regular)
2 cups of frozen corn
S&P – to taste
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 Tablespoon of parsley (fresh or dried)
2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 Tablespoons of flour
5-7 slices of bacon – fried & chopped
4 – 6 oz of Velveeta cheese – cubed
1/2 cup of sour cream
This can be done in stages throughout the day & can simmer all day.
***I recommend  using a thick soup pot, so that your milk wont burn in the bottom of the pan. (ask me how I know.)***  ~ If you’re doing this in stages, like I usually do, be sure you cover the pot, unless it’s boiling.
Chop all your veggies & potatoes.
Saute your onions & celery.  Add your turkey to the onions & celery to brown.
Add your carrots, potatoes, chicken broth & spices to the pot & bring to a low boil.
Add 1 cup of milk to your pot & stir in.  With the remaining 1/2 cup of milk, whisk in your flour in the measuring cup & while stirring add your milk & flour to the pot to simmer.  Turn it down to low or simmer at this point.
At this time, I typically fry my bacon & drain.  I also add in the cubed Velveeta cheese & stir in so it will melt into the mixture.  (If you’re a cheese lover like me, I give you permission to add more.
Stir in your sour cream to the pot all while on simmer or low.  Drop in your chopped bacon & cover to allow all the flavors to blend together.

The link and website That this Original recipe is from


I will post and let you know how it turns out for us!



Update: It was really yummy, and the family liked it here are the changes I made to the original recipe, because I have a very hard time following a recipe as printed unless it is baking.  I like to add and change things to make me happy and to adapt to what I have on hand


Made this tonight, and these are the modifications that I made to the recipe: 
The lack of bacon in this recipe was noted by my family, and not appreciated that it was missing, so I will have to add that next time...

I used 1 lb of sausage in place of ground turkey.
I added Garlic, and 1 tsp. Steak seasoning.
I used Heavy cream (1 pt.) in stead of the milk 
I didn't use any bacon, because I am wary of it since having 
Gallbladder issues.
I had chopped green onions for a topping and shredded cheddar cheese.
Instead of mixing the flour with the milk, I added about 1/2  cup of mashed potato flakes to thicken it.


I made my moms Cornbread recipe from here on the blog to go with it.... 

Yummy sweet cornbread. post in July 2013 
and it was a great combination.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger